This mini dehumidifier has been designed to absorb moisture from small enclosed areas. It will prevent clothes and valuables from the damaging effects of mold/mildew and moisture rot. It is 100% renewable and needs no power to operate. Hang the unit in a closet or other small enclosed spaces and it will start to absorb moisture. There is an indicator window with special "moisture meter crystals" that change from blue (when dry) to pink (when wet) to indicate when the unit needs to be "renewed". The unit will absorb approximately 4-6 ounces of moisture (depending on humidity levels, this should be approx. 3-6 weeks). Once the moisture has been absorbed it cannot leak or spill. This unit uses a specialized engineered crystallized silica gel that is odorless, non-toxic, and completely safe.